Website California Academy of Sciences
The Academy is looking for candidates who do great work and may come from several different backgrounds and experiences. We encourage you to apply even if you believe you must meet every qualification for the position.
About the Opportunity:
The Academy is looking to add two new experienced and results driven People & Culture Business Partner positions to the evolving People & Culture Division to align our initiatives with our leaders, programs, and teams. This role will act as a strategic partner to create and execute thoughtful people strategies that accelerate business objectives and allow us to scale. If you enjoy creating strong relationships across an organization, understand and interpret people analytics. You have a strong bias toward action, exceptional performance, knack for strategic thinking, and a passion for helping people achieve their best in the workplace, this could be the ideal role for you!
Join a team dedicated to the Academy’s mission, vision and values! Currently, the Academy has a new strategic plan including three initiatives – Hope for Reefs, Thriving California, and Islands 2030 – that leverage biodiversity science, environmental learning, and collaborative engagement to regenerate fragile ecosystems around the world. Learn more at https://www.calacademy.org/about-us/major-initiatives.
We are committed to ensuring diversity, equity, accessibility, and inclusion are intrinsic to Academy culture and operations, from recruitment and retention to development, learning and contributing to the mission.
This position is based in San Francisco, California. Staff are expected to work from the Academy offices at least 2 days per week, which may fluctuate based on business needs. Please only apply if you are able to also work onsite.
About the People & Culture Team (PACT):
The People & Culture team collaborates across the Academy to: 1) build a thriving culture in which all staff members feel cared for and respected, with opportunities for growth: and 2) deeply connect employees to the Academy’s purpose of regenerating the natural world.
- Work closely with the Director of People Experience and the leadership team to help execute on our People roadmap
- Consult with leaders and teams on talent development strategies and enhancing overall organizational effectiveness
- Support and develop staff that are union and non union staff
- Develop or recommend systems and processes to drive continuous learning and knowledge-sharing across the organization through the lenses of transparency, growth, and scale
- Proactively lead the execution and implementation of People initiatives, including, performance management, succession planning, equity & inclusion, culture, and workplace and employee experience
- Recommend thoughtful organizational design and partner with business leaders and Talent Acquisition to align hiring plans to strategically staff all functional areas of the business
- Provide effective guidance and coaching to leadership and employees in the resolution of employee relations concerns and work closely with the Director of Employee and Labor Relations on issues in compliance with company policies, practices and values
- Help leaders develop and retain the talent needed to achieve business and growth objectives
- Advise employees requiring HR support and/or guidance. Work in partnership with labor and employee relations to resolve employee relations issues in a timely manner, mitigating risk
- Work closely with the People Operations team to ensure that consistent policies, programs and practices are followed across the organization
- Support talent growth and development for staff from diverse backgrounds and skill sets across the Academy
- Project manage complex programs: You’ll work closely with the business to drive the project management of certain programs where we’re building the foundation of our teams
- Complete special projects and other duties as assigned
Experience and/or Education:
- Minimum of 7 years of People & Culture/HR experience, with 5+ years as a People/HR Business Partner in a matrix organization
- Degree in HR Management or equivalent with PHR/SHRM-SCP certification
- Experience working in a union environment strongly preferred
Skills and Abilities:
- Strong EQ and sense of empathy, with a keen ability to prioritize employee wellness while also driving organizational effectiveness
- Experience with and utilizing Human Capital systems, Google Suite, business applications, Intermediate level experience with excel and creating reports and presentations
- Comfort with interpreting and using people data to tell a story and translating it into actionable strategy
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills – you can work effectively across all levels, and utilize a variety of methods to ensure shared understanding
- Thorough understanding of relevant state and federal employment laws and People & Culture trends
- Experience applying best practices around coaching, employee engagement, and change management
- Proven track record of identifying people problems and using strategic skills to drive and influence appropriate solutions
- Ability to work independently and come up with creative solutions
- Ability to balance strategic leadership responsibilities with a bias towards action – youhave experience with managing both short-term and long-term goals
- Roll up your sleeves: From data entry to ad-hoc administrative work, you’re ready to jump in and do what it takes to support our people operations and programs
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and accessibility.
- This job description may change as our team continues to grow and evolve – we hope you’ll be excited to evolve with us as we scale and increase our impact.
The Academy complies with federal and state disability laws and makes reasonable accommodations for applicants and employees with disabilities. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact our People & Culture team at [email protected].
Compensation and Benefits:
Starting salary will vary based on experience and relevant skills/knowledge set. The Academy offers a total compensation package that emphasizes both base salary and comprehensive benefits based on the hours per week worked.
Review of applications will begin on September 18, 2023 and will be reviewed on a rolling basis and continue until the position is filled.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should submit a resume and optional cover letter through the Careers Page portal.
The California Academy of Sciences will give full consideration for employment to all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance (SF Police Code, Article 49).
The Academy is committed to creating a diverse team and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We know that representation matters in the workplace and with our partners; to that end we are committed to a hiring process grounded in equity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, citizenship or immigration status, national origin, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, political ideology, the presence of any physical, mental, or sensory disability, age, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. Read our full Equal Opportunity Statement here.
Candidates are required to have up-to-date COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of employment, absent qualifying exemptions in accordance with applicable laws. Individuals receiving a conditional offer of employment from the California Academy of Sciences will be provided the full text of the vaccination policy.
To apply for this job please visit us231.dayforcehcm.com.