Website City of Riverside
JOB TITLE: Director of Human Resources
AGENCY: City of Redlands
LOCATION: Redlands, CA
FILING DEADLINE: November 3, 2023
SALARY RANGE: $187,368.00 – $227,760.00 Annually
The Director of Human Resources plans, develops, implements, administers, and coordinates the activities and operations of the Human Resources/Risk Management Department including recruitment and selection, benefits management, performance management, training, staff development, organizational development, classification and compensation, discipline, safety, risk, volunteer management and compliance. The Director provides highly responsible and complex administrative support to the Assistant City Manager. This position manages and supervises a broad range of complex organizational, human resource management and employee/labor relations matters frequently entailing issues of significant potential litigation risk, cost and exposure to adverse public reaction.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
· Provide on-going project support and staff assistance to the City Manager’s Office.
· Ensure the City’s policies and contracts meet federal, state and local legal compliance and meet all required regulations.
· Oversee the planning, development, implementation, administration and coordination of the City’s risk management, liability, property, loss recovery, workers’ compensation, employee safety and loss control programs.
· Participate in contract negotiations, arbitration, collective bargaining agreement administration, and employee grievance process systems.
· Continuously monitor and evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of division service delivery methods and procedures.
· Assess organizational culture and ensure a positive, high performing working environment.
· Create and present city council briefings, including closed session.
· Participate in professional and public meetings as required.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The ideal candidate will be an innovative, ethical, and personable leader and effective communicator with excellent managerial skills and a strong customer-service orientation. The ideal candidate will have thorough knowledge of employment-related laws and regulations as they relate to public employees, including employees in public safety, and be a creative professional with the highest moral character and integrity in all that he/she does, with a desire to build trust, accountability, and a solutions-oriented work culture. This position requires an engaging and results-oriented individual with the ability to facilitate positive change, work effectively with staff, executive leadership, bargaining units, elected officials; and have a willingness to work collaboratively and provide succession planning and employee development opportunities. Successful candidates will possess a proven track record implementing and completing projects, and creating an inspired, team-oriented environment.
Key Attributes and Characteristics
· A solid leader and role model with a positive presence; demonstrated initiative; action-oriented; exercises wisdom in judgment; and makes good, consistent decisions.
· An active problem solver who anticipates and responds to issues in a timely manner, develops alternative solutions, and can bring timely resolution to problems, involving others as needed.
· Excellent at writing clear, concise staff and other reports for presentation in oral or written format to city council or other elected bodies.
· Service-oriented with a track record of providing outstanding customer service to internal and external customers.
· Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
· Strong business acumen, with the ability to carefully evaluate and improve the organization’s efficiency, effectiveness, and productivity.
· Can understand and work in a political, public sector environment; and be flexible, transparent, and able to adapt to changing priorities.
· A relationship builder who cultivates productive partnerships with staff, management, organized labor, external agencies and stakeholders.
· Able to wisely, effectively, and sensitively address personnel issues including performance evaluations, discipline, grievances, interpretation of personnel policies and procedures, labor contracts, and related matters.
· An outstanding manager of people who provides guidance and professional support to staff, offers regular feedback to employees, and serves as a mentor in providing training and growth opportunities.
· A leader who is collaborative and supportive in working with executive leadership, ensuring the organization works toward a common goal.
· A person with the highest ethical standards who is willing to make difficult decisions based on what is right, enforces not just the letter of the law, but the spirit of the law.
· An excellent communicator willing to listen and able to build trust.
Redlands is a city in the heart of the Inland Empire, in San Bernardino County. With a population of approximately 70,000 and founded in 1881 and incorporated in 1888, Redlands is a quintessential “big town” with a “small town” feel. For much of its history, it was the “Washington Navel Orange Growing Capital of the World,” with the citrus industry as the main focus of its economy. The City is known for more than just its citrus industry and historical Victorian architecture. Surrounded by gorgeous mountains, Redlands is located approximately 60 miles northeast of Los Angeles, and 45 miles west of Palm Springs which makes it an easy drive to reach mountains, beaches, and deserts.
To learn more about the City of Redlands, visit the City’s website: https://www.cityofredlands.org.
For more details about this opportunity, please visit the job brochure at: https://koffassociates.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/09/Rev1-Redlands-HRD.pdf.
To be considered, please electronically submit your resume, cover letter and a list of five professional references (references will not be contacted in the early stages of the recruitment) at: https://koffassociates.com/redlands-director-of-hr/. Resumes should reflect years and months of positions held, as well as size of staff and budgets you have managed.
For additional information, please contact:
Phone (510) 495-0448
Email: [email protected]
To apply for this job please visit koffassociates.com.