BrennanCenter Brennan Center for Justice
The Brennan Center for Justice at NYU School of Law is a nonpartisan law and policy
institute that seeks to improve our systems of democracy and justice. We work to hold
our political institutions and laws accountable to the twin American ideals of democracy
and equal justice for all. Among our core priorities, we fight to protect voting rights, end
mass incarceration, strengthen checks and balances, and preserve Constitutional
protection in the fight against terrorism. Part think tank, part advocacy group, part
cutting-edge communications hub, we start with rigorous research. We craft innovative
policies. And we fight for them — in Congress and the states, the courts, and in the
court of public opinion.
Reporting to the Organizational Development Manager, we seek an experienced
recruiter to join our Human Resources team in-person at our New York office. This is a
great opportunity for someone looking to take more ownership of the recruitment
function along with implementing new initiatives and enhancing processes.
• Manage multiple full life-cycle recruitment processes for all staff (attorneys,
assistants, associates, etc.) which includes posting jobs, reviewing resumes and
application materials, phone screening, scheduling interviews, conducting
interviews, checking references, and making offers.
• Oversee temporary staffing needs of hiring managers, including coordinating with
temp agency, hiring managers, and/or other internal staff to identify a temp and
• Utilize applicant tracking system to manage applicants including dispositioning
and sending notifications to applicants; identify ways to better leverage the
• Coordinate legal internship recruiting events and ensure internships and termlimited positions are posted according to schedule.
• Use data, analysis, and metrics to assess our ability to attract candidates and
diversity throughout the recruitment process.
• Develop and implement recruitment outreach and pipeline building strategies to
ensure a diverse and highly qualified applicant pool (i.e., sourcing active and
passive candidates, building a recruitment pipeline by maintaining list of
prospects, identifying recruiting opportunities/events, tracking participation in
events, and developing recruiting events).
• Manage and/or implement diversity, equity, and inclusion recruitment efforts
along with identifying other innovative recruitment initiatives.
• Cultivate effective working relationships with hiring managers and external
partners to fulfill recruitment needs and implement recruitment initiatives.
• Ensure recruiting resources and contacts are kept up to date.
• Manage Brennan Center Jobs inbox.
• Minimum 3 yrs. experience successfully recruiting for jobs that receive hundreds
of applicants and/or for organizations with high volume recruitment.
• Experience using an Applicant Tracking System.
• Must possess good judgment and emotional intelligence to discern potential fit
for positions and adapt to stakeholders’ and customers’ needs.
• Experience working in a fast paced and dynamic work environment.
• Attention to detail and organization skills are a must along with the ability to
manage multiple projects at once.
• Experience designing, implementing, and/or executing new recruitment
processes and/or systems.
• Enthusiasm for recruitment, cultivating relationships and identifying talent to help
fulfill the organization’s mission.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• The ability to receive and implement constructive feedback.
• Ability to work independently with little supervision.
• Flexibility to adjust schedule to meet operating needs.
• Must be able to meet deadlines while being proactive and self-motivated in
accomplishing tasks, big and small.
• Ability to organize/prioritize work while handling multiple projects and shifting
• Bachelor’s degree.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, And Abilities
• Experience identifying effective recruitment strategies for challenging positions.
• Experience recruiting in a law firm or legal organization along with recruiting for
attorneys strongly preferred.
• Knowledge and experience in implementing best practices around diversity,
equity, and inclusion in hiring and recruitment.
• Experience reviewing writing samples for jobs where writing is a significant
component of the work, which can also include graduate school admissions
experience reviewing and evaluating applications and personal statements.
• Previous experience as an administrator of an applicant tracking system.
The Brennan Center is committed to advancing Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in the
workplace. We continuously work with our staff to find new ways to increase diversity
and to build and cultivate an inclusive and equitable work environment, where everyone
can be their true-self and feel a strong sense of belonging. As such, we seek to hire
employees who have a commitment to and/or experience with diversity, equity, and
inclusion. In addition, we expect employees to participate/contribute with DEI initiatives
or activities with recruitment, retention, and workplace culture.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until a qualified candidate is identified.
To apply, please visit https://brennancenter.applytojob.com/apply/XKEeZJFjh8/SeniorRecruiter and upload the following application materials (preferably in pdf format): copy and paste a cover letter, upload a resume, and upload contact information for three
references. No phone calls or faxes. Please reference where you saw this posting in
your cover letter.
If you have difficulty with the online system, you may send your application by e-mail to:
[email protected] with “Senior Recruiter” in the subject line, after registering
in the online system. Online application, however, is strongly preferred to ensure
your application is reviewed.
Note: The Brennan Center is committed to public health and to the safety and wellbeing
of our colleagues and visitors. As such, we have adopted a policy requiring all
employees working in the New York and Washington, DC offices to be vaccinated
against COVID-19 or to meet the legal guidelines for an exemption.
To apply for this job please visit brennancenter.applytojob.com.