Website The Environmental Defense Fund
Building a better future together.
Put your passion and skills to work for the planet. Climate change is the most urgent issue of our time, and we need people like you to help us build a vital Earth — for everyone.
We’re Environmental Defense Fund, a fast-paced nonprofit with a growing staff of more than 1,000 people in nearly 30 countries. We deliver game-changing solutions that cut climate pollution and strengthen people’s ability to thrive despite the effects climate change is already having. We work wherever we can have the most impact, from local communities to top companies to governments worldwide, and even in space.
Our culture, values and commitment to diversity make EDF an exciting and meaningful place to work. Every job here makes a difference. Won’t you join us?
In this highly collaborative role, the HRIS Manager will leverage their extensive technical experience in the Workday ecosystem to configure new functionality and improve existing processes, manage release updates, ensure system and data integrity, develop complex reports and dashboards, maintain and enhance security, support and maintain system integrations, and help optimize how we use Workday at EDF. As a true subject matter expert for Workday, this role will be instrumental in continuously driving EDF to embrace all that Workday has to offer by finding unique and creative ways to design, implement, and maintain processes and programs that will carry us into the future. In addition, the HRIS Manager will leverage their broad technical background to support other cloud based HR and HR-adjacent platforms as needed.
The HRIS Manager will partner with teams across the organization to deliver best-in-class solutions through hands-on technical expertise, initiative, creativity, and a true passion for HRIS in a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions.
- Provides expert technical configuration and support across Workday, including annual processes (e.g., Open Enrollment, Annual Merit, and Performance Management), development and implementation of new processes, process enhancements, ad hoc requests, security, reporting, integration support, etc.
- Researches and resolves Workday unexpected results or process flaws; recommending solutions or alternate methods to meet requirements.
- Develops, maintains and supports a variety of custom reports or queries utilizing advanced reporting tools such as calculated fields, matrix and composite reports.
- Updates and maintains business processes, including business process templates, custom notifications, guided tours, validation and condition rules.
- Performs system maintenance, including reviewing, testing and implementation of Workday system updates. Collaborates with functional and technical staff to coordinate application of updates or fix.
- Documents configuration changes, processes and testing results.
- Maintains highest degree of data integrity by running queries and analyzing data from Workday and other HR systems.
- Supports other HR systems with troubleshooting, reporting, and maintenance.
- Develops collaborative and productive relationships with HR functional leaders, IT partners and various Operational teams to effectively prioritize and execute human resources technology needs, including the development of proper training and documentation.
- Mentors HRIS Analysts and collaborates with HR Staff at all levels.
- Assists users within HR as needed to enable them to more effectively utilize all HR systems.
- Maintains awareness of current trends in Workday and across the HRIS field with a focus on product and service development, delivery, and support, and applying key technologies. Examines trends in information systems training, materials, and techniques. Through classes, reading, computer based training or other mechanisms, continuously increases both HR and HRIS application/tools knowledge. Participates in user group meetings/conferences.
- Participates in advancing EDF Diversity, Equity & Inclusion goals in which people from all backgrounds and experiences feel connected, included, and empowered to address the environmental and organizational challenges in alignment with EDF values.
- Expert level proficiency in Workday in several functional areas (HCM, Benefits, Time and Attendance, Advanced Compensation, Payroll, Talent, Performance Management, Learning).
- Expert level proficiency in Workday Report Writing including calculated fields, matrix reports and composite reporting.
- Knowledge of Workday security administration.
- Minimum 6 years Workday technical experience working on an HRIS team or equivalent Workday consulting.
- At least 6 years of related HR/HRIS experience. Advanced degree may substitute for up to two years of experience.
- Extensive knowledge of HR systems structure, functions and processes.
- Knowledge of project management methodologies.
- Technical aptitude with exceptional problem-solving skills and demonstrated ability to analyze data.
- Highly organized, exceptional attention to detail, and possess the ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Demonstrates good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical, problem solving and mathematical skills.
- Advanced Microsoft Excel, Smartsheet and Visio skills
- Experience working within a Global HR environment highly desired.
iCIMS and NetSuite experience preferred.
- Workday PRO Certification in one or more functional areas required.
- Demonstrates self-awareness, cultural competency and inclusivity, and ability to work with colleagues and stakeholders across diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Workday System Administration – Advanced Level (Ability to manage the overall administration of Workday with minimal supervision/instruction)
- Workday Functional Areas – Advanced Level (Broad and comprehensive knowledge of at least 5 functional areas in Workday with the ability to configure key processes and troubleshoot issues with minimal supervision/instruction)
- Workday Report writing – Advanced Level (Ability to develop and maintain highly complex reports of varying types and develop and maintain dashboards and alerts in Workday with minimal supervision/instruction)
- Workday Calculated fields- Advanced Level (Ability to create highly complex calculated fields and leverage those fields across Workday with minimal supervision/instruction)
- Workday Business Process Configuration – Advanced Level (Ability to create and modify Workday business processes, including validation rules, entry conditions, and notifications with minimal supervision/instruction)
- Workday Security Configuration – Advanced Level (Ability to create and manage a variety of Workday security groups and maintain domain and business process security with minimal supervision/instruction)
- Workday Integrations – Intermediate Level (Ability to support and maintain Workday integrations and EIBs with limited supervision/instruction)
- Other HRIS – Intermediate to Advanced Level (Ability to support and maintain a variety of HRIS systems, including LMS and ATS systems, with limited to minimal supervision/instruction)
- Project Management – Intermediate to Advanced Level (Ability to effectively manage projects with limited to minimal supervision/instruction)
- Problem-solving – Advanced Level (Ability to solve highly complex problems with minimal supervision/instruction)
- Process Documentation – Advanced Level (Ability to create and maintain thorough, detailed process and change documentation with minimal supervision/instruction)
- Data Analysis – Advanced Level (Ability to manage large data sets, and to leverage reports and other tools to analyze data and interpret results with minimal supervision/instruction)
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
We offer a strong total rewards package encompassing competitive salary, robust benefits, and professional development opportunities consistent with a modern global organization.
The pay range for this role is 122,000 – 135,000 USD which takes into account factors such as candidate experience, skills, training, internal team equity and local norms.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant’s qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
To apply for this job please visit www.edf.org.